10 Easy Ways to Brighten Your Home for Summer
Summer is a time to enjoy the warmer weather and sunshine. Bring the fun of summer indoors too!
Select a few of the tips below to the lighten the look of your home this summer.
1. Swap your pillow covers for a quick and easy summer makeover. You should alway purchase quality pillow inserts. A good insert will last for years and give you the ability to easily switch the cover. Seasonal pillow covers are more practical to store than an entire pillow.
2. Add colorful table runners, table cloths or placemats to your tables. Again these come in fun summer patterns and are easy to store until needed. Table runners are fun to put on a bedroom dresser to give a punch of color also.
This fabric by Thibaut for is perfect for summer decorating
3. Replace the wood in your fireplace with a
summer vignette. Create a seascape using large shells, a sea fan or purchased driftwood. You could also add a few summer or white accessories with dried flowers or candles. Adding a mirror in the back would brighten the area and visually increase the size of your arrangement.
4. Paint furniture
Do you have a tired piece of wicker or wood furniture that could use a coat of paint? Paint it white or a fun color to update it and bring your furniture as well as the room to life.
5. Swap a few pieces of art for a bright canvas prints for a welcome change of pace.
6. Pull up the rugs, you can leave your floors bare, add a sisal rug, or a colorful flat weave rug. The nice thing about a flat weave is you can flip it when it starts to wear.
7. Summer-ize your tablescapes by adding seaside treasures, natural materials or a bright colored bowl to your end table, buffets and night stands.
8. Have a summer home? Frame a map of the area, a favorite photo of a water scene or fun family event that occurred there so you can enjoy it all year.
9. Create an outdoor serving area or bar by simply adding a shelf below your window. Use your imagination here. You could use a piece of barn wood, driftwood or quartz that blends with the kitchen decor. You could trim it with nautical rope, furniture nail heads, beads etc. Keep in mind how much weather your shelf will be exposed to. The bracket needed will be determined by the size and weight of your shelf.
10. Adding fabric to your outdoor space will create a more welcoming space. Add pillows and cushions to benches and chairs. Hang gauzy drapery panels from pergolas and gazebos. Add outdoor rugs and table cloths. Put strings of lights in the lattice and candles on the tables to continue your summer fun into the evening. Include storage space if you can, to easily put your cushions and outdoor items away during inclement weather or while you are away.
Of course, you may not want to leave your home during the summer months after you have added your summer touches!